Are you aware of the importance of bird feeding? Have you heard about the suet pellets? Do you want to know about the misconceptions regarding the bird feeding? Do you want to know the myths and their respective facts? If the replies to all these questions are positive, you are undoubtedly in the right place at the right time.
The trend of feeding the sunflower hearts, peanuts and other such foods to birds is increasing big time. It is a hobby of many people. However at the same time there are lots of people who do not like doing it or have some misconceptions regarding it.
There are several types of food like fat balls and Niger seeds for birds, to name a few. So, without believing these myths, you can buy any of them from the reputed store. So, let us have a look at some of the most commonly believed myths and their facts…
- It will make them dependent solely on handouts: Most people believe that if they will offer food to birds every day, they will be habituated to it and will be dependent on them. Then, they will not search for their own food. Well, this is absolutely wrong; they tend to search for their own food too, even though you offer them every day.
- It will stop them from migrating: Some people also believe that if they offer them every day, it will keep them from migration during fall which is untrue. Of course, they will migrate.
- Peanut butter and rice will affect them adversely: Some people think that the peanut butter will get choke up their throat as it will get stuck which can result into death. Many people believe the same for the uncooked rice as well. Both of them are the misconceptions, as it is not the case; both are safe to eat.
- It is not necessary to feed them in the summer: As the natural food is available easily in summers, a lot of people think that there is no need to feed them in summers. Well, instead of thinking that way, we should think that we should feed them so that we get to see more summer species of birds.
- The seeds will never get spoiled: A few people think that the bird food can never get spoiled; but it does get decayed or contaminated if kept for longer time. So, it should be kept changing regularly.
- Missed seed is poor choice: This is so not true, as the mixed seed will attract a lot more species of birds in your backyard.
- Their feet can stick to metal perches: This is untrue, as their legs will not get frozen on it; keep the feeders in dry place.
Now that you are aware of the common myths about the bird feeding and garden bird food, it is advisable for you to try to remove these misconceptions and spread the awareness amongst the people to let them know the truth. Good luck for that!